The Louis Nolan Memorial - Maidstone.
After early graduation, he was commissioned as a subaltern in the 10th Austrian Hussar regiment, serving in Austria, Hungary and on the Polish frontier, where he again became known for his horsemanship and was promoted to senior lieutenant.
Returning to Great Britain in 1851, he toured continental Europe and wrote two books on horsemanship and cavalry theory. A trusted voice on cavalry matters, Nolan was dispatched to the Middle East in the early days of the Crimean War to hunt for suitable horses. After returning, he was attached to the staff of General Richard Airey, and in this role delivered the order that led to the Charge of the Light Brigade.
Nearly half of the Light Brigade's soldiers were killed, wounded, captured or rendered unfit for service, including Nolan, who was the first casualty of the Charge. 110 died, 130 were wounded, and 58 went missing or were captured - 40 percent losses in an action that lasted 20 minutes.
At the time of his death, Nolan was the last male member of his family, and the line died with him. Some friends had a plaque erected in his memory at Holy Trinity Church in Maidstone, although his body remained in the Crimea.
The memorial plaque to Louis was mislaid during the renovation of the Holy Trinity Church, which was done in the late 1980s.
Link to Nolan's obituary at the time of his death. - http://www.silverwhistle.co.uk/crimea/obituary.html
The memorial was unveiled by The Worshipful The Deputy Mayor of Maidstone, Councillor Clive English on 16th April at 12.30.
It consists of a black granite plaque, inset into an obelisk built using Kentish ragstone & Clipsham stone.
The memorial was designed to compliment the old Opthalmic Hospital, which is situated behind the monument.
The bronze statuette was designed and made by Meltdown Studio.